The News and Journalism Intern (Journalism Intern) will be responsible for promoting the Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) through the research, writing, and publication of original content (e.g. articles, blog posts, news stories, etc.). He or she will work with the Visibility Coordinator, SSI staff, volunteers, OSU faculty and staff, and Corvallis community members to make sure these activities are successful.
- Investigate, write, and publish articles, blog posts, and news stories related to the sustainability needs and efforts of the SSI and OSU communities.
- Help improve the efficacy and efficiency of the SSI’s promotional efforts, strategies, abilities, and resources.
- Meet regularly with the SSI Design and Visibility Coordinator to plan activities and brainstorm ways to improve the mechanisms and resources facilitating those activities.
- Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
- Some understanding of, and interest in, sustainability.
- Strong writing abilities.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility and responsiveness.
- Interest in improving journalism skills, and educating the OSU and Corvallis communities on sustainability needs and efforts.
- Interest publicizing works beyond SSI channels, and interest in learning to work with the media to do so.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Journalism experience.
- Experience working with the media.
- Awareness of campus and community sustainability groups.
- Interest in contributing to improving both the activities and mechanisms of the SSI.
The SSI will work with the student to secure credit for the internship.
Terms and Conditions:
Applications are open to students and non-students, but preference will be given to students. In order to be considered a student, the applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the internship, during the term prior to the internship, or during the term following the internship. Interns, like all staff, are expected to affirm and uphold University policies that help create and mainatin a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.
Submit a cover letter and resume to the Visibility Coordinator (email@example.com).
For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/sustainability/ssi. Together, applicants and SSI staff will negotiate an appropriate length for the internship. Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.